"When you look at a person,
any person, remember that
everyone has a story, everyone
has gone through something
that changed them forever."
any person, remember that
everyone has a story, everyone
has gone through something
that changed them forever."
This post is a response to/was inspired by Neda's "My Though Process" post.
My friend Neda, there (may I call you friend, I think I may, we talk often enough via Twitter), brought up something interesting tonight: maturity.
It is my belief that teenagers today are not mature, mentally mature that is, at all. Some people beg to differ, but it seems to me that the only way that we are mature as a group is that we are reverting back one hundred years, becoming baby-making machines by age fifteen. And at that, that is not emotional or mental maturity, it is quite the opposite.
I have a "nephew" (I like to call him my nephew-by-association) who will be ten months old the end of this month, and I love him to death and would never be able to imagine life without him on this planet, but he was born to a teen-aged mother. And he would have had an older brother or sister had she not tragically miscarried her first pregnancy.
Before I left public schooling, anywhere from six to ten other girls had become pregnant and had children. It was rumored that one young lady had become pregnant for the third time, the first was either miscarried or aborted, the second resulted in a full-term baby girl.
This, this is not maturity. This is stupidity. I understand that there are instances such assault (rape) that can result in pregnancy, and that is definitely no fault of the mother, but the teen-aged boys and girls having sex willingly without protection, that is not maturity, that is stupidity.
Okay, I got waaayyyyy off track here. This is not where I was going with this topic when I began writing it.
So, anyways, what I was saying is that most teenagers are by no means "mature". However, there are exceptions. And however selfish, self-centered, snobbish this may seem, I believe myself to be one of the exceptions.
This does not come without reason, however. It is my belief that the conditions I grew up in contributed, if not forced upon me, a more mature state of mind and emotional sense.
I grew up and am growing up poor. Not just poor, but incredibly below the poverty line. If it weren't for the fact that I receive a dividends check off of my college fund every few months, I would not have decent clothing to wear, hygiene products to use, or a computer to sit here and write this on.
To put things in prospective for you, during one year, I make one twelfth of what my mother does by sitting back and waiting for the mail to come every three months, while she works two jobs, six days a week.
Being poor, though, has put into perspective how hard I will need to work over the next few years in order to give myself a leg up in an ailing economy and broken country. I need to be able to make a good living. I do not need to be rich, but I would like to pick up and say, "Let's go out for dinner, somewhere nice," once a month or so. I would like to be able to go see a movie without worrying how I will buy food the next week. I would like to be able to see my family without needing to scrounge for gas money.
I have the mentality to know that I will be working myself to the bone to get a college education, whatever that may be in, so that I will be able to raise a family in which my children can play a sport at school, go on a field trip, or even just have a few friends over to spend the night while having plenty of bad-for-you snacks and melt-your-brain video games to play.
I not only grew up in a poor family, but an abusive one. Without going in to too much detail, my father was/is an alcoholic abuser, emotionally more then physically, but both. I spent ten years of my life in that environment and thank my lucky stars that I no longer am every day that I live.
While living through that did make me an emotionally weak person, I have since recovered from the mental grasp he had on my mind (though, physically, I could stand to lose a pound or two that I gained from emotional eating). In my own healing, I have become someone who is more emotionally aware of my surroundings and am more empathetic towards others' situations.
Everything I have gone through makes me understand even more so how important it is for me to be in a stable home with stable funds and stable love before I can ever bring a new family into this world. I think that understanding things like this is some of what makes a teenager "mature".
What are your thoughts on the subject?
3 Comments:
Jennifer,
I had no idea, but you have gone through so much. I know of many students who have been abused or even raped as a child and have turned into something that society frowns upon, today. You on the other hand, are different. You have faced such harsh environments as a young girl with the addition of financial insecurity and still are determined to be somebody. I must agree that your former life and present circumstances has shaped you into what you are today.
And I agree with your reasoning. So many kids live in this 'fantasy world' where money and luxury are thrown to them. Many have no responsibility and often abuse or take advantage of their parents. Many think that their future is a piece of cake. They will never become "mature" with their thoughts until reality not only hits them, but punches them in the face.
You are a great blogger!
-Neda
Wow that was honestly very inspirational. And honestly, I can relate. Especially to this part: "I have the mentality to know that I will be working myself to the bone to get a college education, whatever that may be in, so that I will be able to raise a family in which my children can play a sport at school, go on a field trip, or even just have a few friends over to spend the night while having plenty of bad-for-you snacks and melt-your-brain video games to play.".
You know, sometimes I just want to fast forward life so I can get past all of this trouble and see if it all pays off in the end. I have no doubt that you're hard work will pay off because well I can tell from your writing that your determined to live a happy life, not an extravagant one, but just happy.
That's what I love about this post. So many kids want to just live the life that they see on TV (I might be going on a rant here but hey it sorta relates). I mean I have several friends who don't do the hard work but in the end they expect to get the best of the best. I hate it when kids who don't do shit in class get recognized for doing the most work, because well they don't deserve it. Yes they may be naturally smart but you should recognize the people who work their asses off to make those perfect grades.
For example, there is this one girl in our class that sleeps maybe 2 hours a day, the rest is devoted to school. And you know, she deserves to be recognized as the brightest student because well she is. Huh but unfortunately there are some kids who don't even give a damn about school and get recognized at the class genius (Eric).
OK I know that was random and unnecessary about I had to get that out there :). Other than that, I completely agree on your point of view on maturity. You know what else teens these days don't get? Love.
Some teens think that they're in love with some girl/guy the day after they start going out. Hm and some cases it may be true but most of the time it isn't. I'm not saying that it's impossible to fall in love as a teenager, but it's hard because well you have no experience of what love really is. It's not easy to just "fall in love" with someone. Hell just because two people go out doesn't mean their in love. There's a difference between love and infatuation, a lot of teens don't get that.
Huh I could go on but that's enough ranting for now....maybe one day I'll blog about it.
Excellent post by the way :) As I said you really are inspirational and I have no doubt in my mind that you'll make it. :D
I am back again, and this time it is to comment on Mep. You know, you may feel as if these peole who don't give a crap about work get all the attention, but that is not true. I truly believe that hard work pays off. Maybe today that student doesn't get the attention she deserves, but in the future when schooling gets tougher, her mentality of hard work is what is going to get her ahead. And while they student you mentioned may be a genius, the truth will inevitably catch up with him. It always does. Cliche, but true.
And love, sigh, is such a common thing to experience during high school. And it upsets me too to see innocent students being drawn into these swirling feelings, all along leading to their demise. Kids sadly need to realize that their bf/gf at the moment is not the one you will marry, in most cases that is. There will be no picket fenced yard with a Lexus and SUV with several kids. Maybe if you wait longer to fall in love. That's another thing- kids need to wait a little longer when the settings are right. I think most kids realize this after they become a certain age-"wow I can't believe I thought we were going to get married!". It's intersting to see kids in love at school. I just shake my head in dismay. They don't know what true love is. Btw, I finished dear John and the book kind of cleared up that question. I may blog about it sometime, but for now, I will stop spamming your comments Jennifer. Nice comment mep, and nice post Jennifer. Peace out.
-Neda
Post a Comment